Passion Meets Purpose: Jimmeka Anderson

3.29.2013


I’m a very lucky girl. I don’t know how it happened, but over the years I’ve met some pretty remarkable people who are very passionate and goal oriented. They had desires and dreams then found the means to make them come true. I will profile them in a new feature called Passion Meets Purpose. It is my hope that their stories encourage and empower the rest of us to do the same.

This week we speak with Jimmeka Anderson of I AM not the Media. I was introduced to Jimmeka in 2005 when she became a member of The Nu Rho Chapter of Alpha Kappa AlphaSorority Incorporated (Skee Wee!)


I was instantly impressed with her generous spirit and dedication to service. It came as no surprise that she has dedicated her life to serving her community and empowering youth. I hope you enjoy our first Passion Meets Purpose profile of Jimmeka Anderson.

Name: Jimmeka Anderson

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Current town: Charlotte, NC

What’s your passion?

Writing, Poetry, Empowering Youth, Motivational Speaking

How long have you been at it?

I have been writing since I was about eight years old and I have been working with youth for the past 10 years. I launched my non-profit organization, I AM not the MEdia, Inc. in January 2012 and in our first year we served over 700 teens through free programming that empowers youth through media literacy.


When did you decide to pursue your passion?
When I realized it was what made me smile in the morning; When it did not feel like work; When I was at peace and proud of myself.



How did life prepare you to follow your dreams?

I thank God for bringing phenomenal and inspiring men and women in my life that served as mentors to me and sparked the fire for me to achieve my dreams, made me believe that I could do it. These people made me realize I am more than just a woman, more than just black, I am an instrument crafted by God to fulfill a purpose here on this earth beyond what the world sees or expects, I am greater.


Was fear a factor? If so how did you overcome it?

Fear of people use to be a factor for me. I cared too much what people thought of me, how I talked, my ideas and who I was a person. When I started believing more in myself, my talents and gifts that God gave me, I started to care less what people thought because I began to realize they were no better nor different from myself. Now, I am not afraid to share myself to the world and speak out loud confidently. I love who I am.

If you could look back and give yourself any piece of advice what would it be?

"Fear is a choice" or "Quit trying to please everyone Jimmeka!"



What’s a typical day like for you?

I wake up, play music while I get my daughter and myself ready for school and work...sing in the shower...hum out the door...Go to work at ImaginOn in downtown Charlotte and plan events in the city for teens...Get off work...sing in the car...pick up my daughter...head to my non profit's office...WORK!...Sing In the car...Come home and cook...Eat and Write...Pray and Go To Sleep

Who or what inspires you? Ambitious Youth, Wise Elderly People, and those that serve mankind

What’s next? I am in the process of publishing my second book of poetry and currently writing a novel. My non-profit I AM not the MEdia, Inc. is expanding and opening a chapter in Atlanta, GA which is very exciting!


Where can we find you? Facebook, In the community at Youth Events!
Website www.iamnotthemedia.org | www.chaospoetry.com
Facebook www.facebook.com/jimmekaanderson
Email jimmeka@iamnotthemedia.org

1 comment :

Shannon Mills (Artis) said...

Absolutely Beautiful! So moving and inspirational!

Related Posts with Thumbnails